Thursday, January 6, 2011

IT'S NOT GOOD BBQ IF YOUR FINGERS DON'T STINK


Yesterday, while in Rancho Cucamonga, I broke two of my own Cardinal Rules (do Cardinals..or cardinals..actually eat BBQ) when it come to BBQ.

Rule #1: Always eat at a Mom & Pop Establishment that has years of actual smoke build up inside and out.
Rule #2: Said establishment should have one of the following in its name...Mama's, Auntie or Tiny's. A sub-rule is that Mama, Aunite or Tiny should actually be in the kitchen.

In a moment of temporary Memphis weakness, Tony (Forefront Real Estate's office manager) and I found ourselves at Dickey's BBQ yesterday.It's important to note that Dickey's is a chain joint, and Dickey was no where to be found.While the service was very good, the prices and the food weren't.

I had the chopped beef,Big BBQ Sandwich. Apparently the term "Big" has different meanings in different parts of the country. Typically, if the entire inside of the bun can be covered by two pickle slices, "Big" isn't the first thing that comes to mind. Luckily, the meat was dry and pretty close to tasteless. The added bonus was that the BBQ sauce was basically colored vinegar. How do I know, you ask? Because it kept coming back all afternoon. 'Sorry you asked, huh?

Tony had a beef plate combination. His comment when he was done was ' For $9, I should be more full". The entire bill was about $23 bucks. When we were done eating, we both noted the absence of need for two very crucial parts of any good BBQ...toothpicks or extra napkins. In fact,the only think I needed was some trail mix to satisfy my remaining hunger.

I'm off to find Mama or Tiny.